Sunday, August 26, 2007

Precious Prayer


We pray a lot around our house. We pray at mealtimes, bedtimes, and as the need arises when we lose a toy...or our temper...we present our requests to God.

But, usually, it is just John and I who utter our petitions to the Lord. The kids are quick to mention their requests...the grandparents are always on the top of the list and lately, McKenna has wanted to pray for her Dorothy dress for Halloween. :) Every night we also pray for Paul, a 16 year old at our church who is battling an aggressive cancer. It melts my heart that the girls remember him every evening...even as we haven't seen him in 2 months.

Tonight, was special. As I was tucking the girls into bed, I asked them who they wanted to pray for. McKenna said, "Phil, Heather, Ally & Travis." Brooklyn said, "Daddy & Paul." And then McKenna added, "And Melodie."

I took their hands and as I was beginning to start, I asked if either of the girls wanted to say the prayer tonight. I offer from time to time and get a resounding "no, Mommy do it." But, tonight, McKenna said, "I do." So I closed my eyes and waited. And this is what I heard:

"Dear God, thank you for Phil, Heather, Ally & Traivs. Thank you for Daddy. Be with Paul and bless him and give him peace. I love Melodie. In Jesus' Name, Amen."

I was so choked up I could hardly respond. I said, "Amen" because there was nothing to add to that precious prayer from the mouth of my 4 year old daughter.

It blessed my heart to no end to witness that. And I know the Lord heard McKenna's request tonight....

1 comment:

Mair-Wear said...

SO CUTE! Cade prayed by himself once and I almost cried, too! I love that our little ones are learning about our Lord! I miss you and have been thinking about you A LOT lately! Love ya.