Thursday, April 3, 2008

Spatula City--for all your spatula needs!

Ok, so here is a fun story of a TMMO (Total Money Makeover) miracle!

About a month ago, I attended our monthly MOPS group. We were a couple weeks into our TMMO.

One of Dave Ramsey's main principles...are you ready for it, is "don't spend money you don't have". Genius, I know. But, John and I have never really "understood" how to live on a budget.

I've owned one spatula (the soft kind used for scraping a mixing bowl) since we've been married. Somehow it has disintegrated due to dish washing and apparently children's teeth. Anyway, I've been wanting to buy a new one for some time.



Each time I'm out at a store, I have very firmly told myself no. Dave Ramsey says "live now like no one else so you can live later like no one else." Now, mind you, a spatula probably costs between $3 and $10, but we are learning that EVERY dollar counts and must be accounted for in our budget. A spatula is currently NOT in our budget.

Anyway, at one point at MOPS, my table leader says, "Oh, Katy, I forgot to tell you. You won the 'Suzy Homemaker' award at last month's MOPS for your potato dish. Here's your award." And she handed me 3 very cute orange spatulas in 3 different sizes tied with a cute ribbon.

Yes, 3.





Not only have I only owned one spatula in my life, but it was white and perhaps a bit boring. Now, I have 3 and they are ORANGE...which happens to be John's favorite color! :)

How fun is that?

And as I looked at my "award", I could only see God's affirmation and blessing on what John and I are trying to do. Just God's tender kindness towards me.

3 comments:

Mair-Wear said...

I LOVE when God does things like that! Blessings come with obedience! I'm proud of you, girlfriend!

April Spicer said...

YEH!! You are back!! I pathetically check this blog every couple days and was astounded that you had posted several posts! Woo hoo! I'm a lover of Financial Peace. Keep up the good work! It is easy to go crazy about those concepts. Brian and I did it several years ago and probably need to revisit a few concepts. :) I love you and I look forward to hearing more updates!

Unknown said...

That is AWESOME!