Saturday, April 14, 2007

Diagnosis

Ok, it's not "official", but it appears my grandma is in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's.

She's been having difficulty with her memory for the last several months and it has gotten worse in the last 2 months. She has become very confused with time (a.m. or p.m. and what to do at various times of the day). It's been challenging for everyone, but we've all kind of chalked it up to old age and fatigue and poor diet.

She had a neurology appointment this last Wednesday and he prescribed a medication for her that might help. My grandma called me this morning saying she just about fell over when she read on her medicine that it was for people suffering from mild to moderate Alzheimer's. Apparently the neurologist made no mention of that actual phrase so it took her for quite a surprise. She has always been terrified of this disease and said she would rather die than live with any form of dementia.

I was ok with it, until this morning. She started saying things like, "well, we had some good times, didn't we?" And "I probably don't say it enough...how much you mean to me. But I hope it goes without saying, that you know it automatically how much I love you." Wow. That was tender to hear, but also made it feel very real that my grandma is scared and keenly aware that her life may not be that much longer.

I'm crying about it for the first time. Not that I'm afraid of death, or even her death. In fact, I rejoice in where she is headed! This woman has lived an amazing life and knows Jesus and is going to be united with her Father and her husband in the place we were really created for.

I'm more sad about what lies ahead for her in this earthly life. I went to a few websites this morning to learn more, and it was very difficult to read and comprehend in terms of my own grandma.

I take the kids to see her almost every Wednesday morning. I will continue to do so up until we move. The visits are getting harder, and thus shorter, but I am determined to spend as much time with her as possible. To make sure she knows how much I love her and appreciate her and value her.

I would appreciate your prayers for my grandma and all of us. I would also appreciate any insight or experience any of you might have had with this disease.

1 comment:

Abi T. said...

Oh, KTB. I'm SORRY. I will ABSOLUTELY pray for your grandma.