Saturday, April 14, 2007

Grandma


In light of the last post, I want to do a brief tribute to my precious Grandma. We are kindred spirits and have shared some fabulous moments, like....

...everytime we went to her house as kids, she would make us 7-up drinks with a cherry and a little cherry juice

...our love for sweets, especially little ones

...our trip to D.C. and New York City when I was 8. She let me, the picky eater, eat bread and butter at all the fancy dinners and restaurants we went to!

...when my grandpa was in the hospital, my grandma stayed with us and shared my bed with me. Everynight before we fell asleep , we would eat chocolate covered raisins...IN BED! (our little secret)

...the summer I lived with her after my grandpa died, we went out for lunch and decided to have strawberry pie instead

She is the most thoughtful woman I have ever known. She has consistently sent beautiful cards to me and my family for every special occasion: birthdays, Valentine's Day, Easter, Halloween, Christmas, etc. If you show up at her house, she will have something specifically made for you to eat. She never forgets what you like and makes special effort to have it "on hand" for you anytime you stop by.

She is also the most generous person I know. She gives anyone who has need. She doesn't ask questions, but just opens her heart and gives. She enabled me to go to Brethren Christian H.S. which is where I met John and several of my best friends. She has helped my brothers and I with many other "needs" along the way....including, most recently, helping with our downpayemnt for our new home. (Don't hold it against her all of you who want us to stay!!!!!)

She loves the Lord and supports His work on this earth any chance she gets. Her parents were missionaries and she spent most of her childhood in Japan. There is no place you will find her on a Sunday morning than in her church. She loves the body of the Christ and her best friends and memories revovlve around her church. She has set an incredible example for me with her consistent behavior and devotion to the things of God.

Ok, so much more I could say. I have learned so much from her. She has been a woman I have wanted to emulate since I was a child. I am so grateful God blessed me with her as a grandmother and a friend.

1 comment:

April Spicer said...

I love this. I am envious of the relationship you two have and yet are so incredibly grateful that you are closer than ever! I have my own memories of she and your grandpa. I'm sorry to hear about her recent diagnosis. I seem to be surrounded with people stricken with this disease (my grandpa being one of them). But the most prominent lesson has been sharing an office at work with my mentor and great friend Don. His wife is 5 years into the disease and comes to work every day with him. She sits about 3 feet away from me and so I have watched this disease take its toll in a way I never imagined. I pray that your grandma has a mild case and you are able to share many more wonderful memories together....especially before your big move! I love you and this entry of yours brings a big smile to my face!